Barcelona Las Ramblas attack: Queen Letizia of Spain pays tribute in black skirt suit
Queen Letizia, 44, was pictured wearing a smart black suit as she attended mass to commemorate victims of two devastating terror attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils.
The royal family were at the Sagrada Familia basilica in Barcelona looking sombre this morning.
Mother-of-two Letizia looked smart as she paid her respects to the 14 who died in Thursday evening’s tragedy.
Wearing a pencil skirt and a black jacket, the former journalist held her hands together as she stood in the basilica surrounded by hundreds of well-wishers.
The number of injured victims totals 120 – and King Felipe and Queen Letiza visited those in hospital yesterday with the with Spanish Minister of Health Dolors Montserrat.
The trio spoke with staff and victims of the attack at the Mar de Barcelona hospital during their visit.
Spanish police are treating the incident as a terror attack.
Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said yesterday the cell behind the carnage had been ‘dismantled,’ though local authorities took a more cautious tone.
The manhunt continues for the suspected driver of the van which hit pedestrians in Barcelona and an imam missing from a mosque in the town of Ripoll, where several suspects lived.
Moroccan-born Younes Abouyaaquob, 22, believed to be the van driver, is the main focus of their search.
He was part of a suspected terrorist cell, which Spanish ministers claim has been dismantled, who were planning a deadly attack on Sagrada Familia.
Catalonian police claimed the cell was preparing the larger attack, but changed their plans after an explosion at a house in Alcazar, south of Barcelona, on Wednesday night.
Is it safe to be in Barcelona?
The incident on Thursday shocked the world especially given the similarities it bore with the UK London Bridge attack in June and Westminster attack in March.
The British Government states on its foreign travel advice website that over 12 million British nationals visit Spain every year – most visits are trouble-free.
Updated foreign travel advice from the FCO reads: “On 17/18 August 2017, there were 2 terrorist-related incidents where vehicles were driven directly at pedestrians, resulting in injuries and loss of life. These were in the Las Ramblas area of Barcelona and Cambrils, near Salou (100km southwest of Barcelona).
“The British Embassy in Madrid and Consulate General in Barcelona are in contact with local authorities and supporting British nationals affected by these incidents. There may be restrictions in place; you should follow the advice of the local authorities.
“The Spanish authorities have set up a helpline for people affected by the incidents. The number is 0034 93 214 21 24.”
Independent Travel Consumer Rights Commentator Frank Brehany told Express.co.uk: “France, Germany, Sweden and the UK have all been recipients of such attacks and many people around Europe are united both in grief and determination.
“For UK holidaymakers affected by this awful event, they should primarily follow the advices of the UK’s Foreign Office; it is absolutely vital that if you are in Barcelona that you follow also the guidance given by the Spanish Authorities – essentially, stay put, silence your phone and avoid using social networks until you are advised that it is safe to move and communicate with family.
“Authorities throughout Europe are going to have to take radical steps to protect tourism and our transportation hubs and we as Consumers are going to have to accept the inconveniences that accompany such measures, be that in our own country or wherever we visit.”