Scroll to Top

Lauer 'sorry' amid inappropriate behaviour claims

By newadmin / Published on Friday, 01 Dec 2017 10:17 AM / No Comments / 19 views



Former Today show host Matt Lauer has said he is “truly sorry” for his actions, after being accused of inappropriate behaviour.

One day after being sacked by NBC from the show he had hosted since 1994, Lauer issued a statement which was read by his co-host Savannah Guthrie on air.

“I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly,” Lauer said in the statement.

“Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I’m committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full-time job.”

Lauer added that he was “truly sorry” for his actions, but that some of what had been said about him was untrue or a mischaracterisation.

“But there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed,” he added.

“The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws,” he said.

“It’s been humbling.”

An NBC employee came forward on Monday to detail what NBC News chief Andrew Lack described as “inappropriate sexual behaviour” from Lauer.

Since then, the network confirmed two other women have come forward with complaints.

One told The New York Times that Lauer sexually assaulted her in his office in 2001.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *