Netflix suspends House Of Cards production
Netflix has suspended production of House Of Cards after crisis talks about child sex assault allegations against Kevin Spacey.
The streaming giant announced on Monday that it would not commission another series of the political thriller after actor Anthony Rapp claimed Spacey assaulted him when he was 14.
But after “deeply troubled” executives arrived for talks with the cast and crew in Baltimore, where the show is filmed, they announced production would be halted immediately.
A statement said: “Media Rights Capital and Netflix have decided to suspend production on House Of Cards season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew.”
The move could delay the start of the show’s next series, which had been expected to air in mid-2018.
The announcement came after the International TV Academy scrapped plans to honour Spacey, 58, with an Emmy Founders Award in November.
In an interview published on Monday, Rapp told BuzzFeed News that Spacey had invited him to his apartment for a party in 1986.
He claimed Spacey picked him up at the end of the night, placed him on his bed and climbed on top of him – making a sexual advance.
He said he believed Spacey was “trying to seduce me” and he was “aware that he was trying to get with me sexually”.
The Star Trek: Discovery star said he managed to push Spacey off him before leaving.
In a statement, Spacey said he was “beyond horrified to hear (Rapp’s) story”, adding: “I honestly do not remember this encounter.”
He apologised “for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour” and said that he had used the allegation “to address other things about my life”.
Spacey added: “I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man.
“I want to deal with this honestly and openly and that starts with examining my own behaviour.”