Scroll to Top

Old Vic actor says many have 'Spacey stories'

By newadmin / Published on Wednesday, 01 Nov 2017 13:48 PM / No Comments / 21 views


An actor who worked with Kevin Spacey at the Old Vic theatre has said “a whole lot more” accusations will surface in coming days.

Roberto Cavazos shared a Facebook post on Tuesday, in which he said the Hollywood star and former Old Vic director had become a “running joke, but of bad taste” among theatre actors.

“It seems the only requirement was to be a male under the age of 30 for Mr Spacey to feel free to touch us,” the Mexican actor wrote.

“I also had a couple of unpleasant encounters with Spacey which were on the verge of being called harassment,” he added.

:: Peter Tatchell: Spacey’s gayness is irrelevant now

Cavazos, who also appeared in Doctor Who, wrote the post to denounce similar issues in Mexican theatre, but took the opportunity to discuss accusations made by actor Anthony Rapp regarding Spacey.

Anthony Rapp attends 'Star Trek: Discovery' panel during Comic-Con International 2017 at San Diego Convention Center on July 22, 2017
Image:
Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of sexual assault when he was 14 years old

“There are many of us [actors] with a ‘Spacey story’,” he wrote.

Cavazos also said that he knows many people “which have told me the same story”, where “Spacey would invite them to meet with him to talk about their careers”.

:: Is a House of Cards spinoff a good idea?

He said his experience involved “a picnic with champagne at the set”, adding that had happened to others as well.

“Each story varied in terms of how far the picnic went, but his technique was the same,” he added.


Kevin Spacey

Video:
Kevin Spacy hit by backlash over abuse claim and gay admission

Cavazos, who acted in three plays at the Old Vic during Spacey’s tenure as artistic director, said Spacey also tried to do that to him twice, but he never let him.

“But I know of some who feared stepping up.”

:: Is Kevin Spacey using his sexuality as a PR spin?

The Old Vic theatre said it was “deeply dismayed” by the allegations against Spacey, adding “no complaints” had been made towards the actor during his time there or after he had left.

It added in a statement: “We aim to foster a safe and supportive environment without prejudice, harassment or bullying of any sort, at any level, as set out in our joint statement with the theatre industry on 23 October.

“We want our employees to feel confident, valued and proud to be part of The Old Vic family. Any behaviour we become aware of which contravenes these goals will not be tolerated.”

Following the allegations, Spacey issued an apology to Anthony Rapp, saying he did not recall the incident, and revealing he was “now living as a gay man”.

The statement has been widely criticised by both his Hollywood peers and the gay community, and Netflix has since halted production of his show House Of Cards before the final season.

Sky News has approached Spacey’s representatives for comment but have not received an answer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *